Each year the City celebrates outstanding environmental champions in the community during a Stewardship Awards ceremony as part of the Haig-Brown Festival and World Rivers Day celebrations.
This year’s award recipients, in the program’s 22nd year, covered a range of activities including tackling invasive plants, reducing food waste and championing alternative transportation. This year’s award recipients are:
- Air Quality / Alternative Transportation — John Elson
- Pesticide Free / Urban Agriculture — Michelle Merkel
- Waste Reduction — Jo Watson
- Water / Energy Conservation — Leona Adams
- Habitat Protection / Creation — Peach Akerhielm, Stephen Smith, Deb Cowper
- Environmental Excellence — Janis La Couvée
Congratulations to all the nominees for their achievements and thank you for your dedication. There is an incredible network of community champions who dedicate their time to conserving and restoring our environment and natural areas and the whole community benefits from your contributions and leadership.
For more information on the City’s stewardship program, visit www.campbellriver.ca/stewardshipawards.
2023 City of Campbell River Stewardship Awards Program Recipients: Jo Watson, Michelle Merkel, John Elson, Leona Adams, Peach Akerhielm, Stephen Smith and Dep Cowper. (Photo: City of Campbell River.)
2023 City of Campbell River Stewardship Awards Program Recipient Janis La Couvée. (Photo: City of Campbell River.)