Secondary suites are a hot topic in Campbell River.  Here you can find information on what’s allowed, what’s not, and how to apply for permission to install a secondary suite in your home.

Secondary suites are regulated by the City’s Zoning Bylaw.  To have a secondary suite, your property must first be zoned with a designation that allows secondary suites.  Most single family dwelling lots in the City are zoned Residential One (R-1) which does not permit a secondary suite.  Zones that do permit a secondary suite are:

  • Residential One A (R-1A)
  • Residential One B (R-1B)
  • Residential Multiple One (RM-1)
  • Residential Multiple Two (RM-2)

If your property is not in one of these zones, you will have to make an application to rezone your property. You are strongly advised to discuss your proposal with Development Services staff prior to making an application for rezoning.  Zoning applications taken in front of Council and are always decided by Council.

Suite Details

The suite itself must meet the requirements of the Zoning Bylaw.  In the definitions section, a secondary suite must fit the following criteria:

SECONDARY SUITE means an additional dwelling unit attached to the principle dwelling unit and:

  1. Having a total floor area of not more than 90 square metres in area;
  2. Having a floor area less that 40% of the habitable floor space of the building;
  3. Having not more than two bedrooms;
  4. Located within a building of residential occupancy containing only one other dwelling unit; and
  5. Located in and part of a building which is a single real estate entity.

Note that secondary suites cannot be located in detached ancillary buildings.  A detached suite is considered a “secondary residence”, which is only permitted in the R-1B zone, and which must meet similar criteria to the above.  Please refer to the Zoning Bylaw for more details.

Installation or renovation of a secondary suites requires a Building Permit to ensure that they comply with BC Building Code, relevant safety, fire and construction standards.  Further information on applying for a building permit can be found here.

Further information about secondary suites is available from the Provincial Government, click here to view Secondary Suites - A Guide for Local Government

What's New
Nov 01, 2018 New marine habitat
Nov 02, 2017 CRadvantage goes live!
Jul 25, 2017 Chalkfest returns!
Jun 30, 2017 Celebrate Canada Day!
Jan 09, 2017 2016 Year-in-Review
Dec 20, 2016 Tourism update!
Nov 16, 2016 Fire Chief for a Day
Oct 11, 2016 Afternoon garage fire
Sep 20, 2013 Walk-ability Survey
Sep 20, 2013 Tidemark grant in aid
Sep 21, 2013 ECAP
Sep 21, 2013 George Paul Passing
Sep 21, 2013 MyCity info update
Sep 21, 2013 Seed saving
Oct 08, 2013 Fire Prevention Week
Feb 24, 2014 Roads Update
Sep 24, 2014 Fall Fire Safety
Dec 18, 2014 Fawn Rd. house fire
Feb 06, 2015 Fire crews kept busy
Feb 26, 2015 Mobile home fire
Jun 26, 2015 New art summer camps
Dec 04, 2015 Storm Warning!
Jan 04, 2016 Jan. 1 City Currents
Jan 07, 2016 New Robron Field open!