The City is committed to providing accessibility in our parks. A Parks Accessibility Audit was conducted in select Campbell River Parks in 2008 by Dave Calver, Accessibility Consultant, who provided some valuable insight into the types of issues which need to be addressed in the Parks system. Click on the following link to review the results in Measuring Up: A Parks Accessibility Audit Report. In addition to the audit Dave Calver also provided the City with Measuring Up: Design Guidelines which the Parks Department uses as a valuable resource.
Recent Park Improvements
Recent park improvements have included:
- Brand new playground at Robert Ostler Park. Rubberized surfacing, inclusive play structures and stroller and wheelchair access make this a fun 'pirate ship' for all children
- The creation of an accessible walkway on the west side of Robert Ostler Park, with adjoining picnic table pads with accessible tables generously donated by the Campbell River Access Awareness Committee
- The installation of extended cement pads for benches and picnic tables for wheelchairs, scooters or strollers
- The provision of permanent parks washrooms which are accessible
- Improvements to bridge approach at Baikie Island Nature Reserve as well as patching of paved trail
- Accessible picnic table at Willow Point Park playground generously donated by Wheels in Motion
If you have any concerns regarding access issues in Parks please contact Judy Ridgway, City Staff Liaison for the Campbell River Access Awareness Committee at 250-286-1161.