Roundabouts in Campbell River
In order to improve safety and calm traffic for all road users, the City of Campbell River will install a single-lane roundabout at the intersection of Rockland Road and Highway 19A in 2020. This roundabout is part of the Highway 19A Upgrades project.
Want to see what preliminary plans for this roundabout look like? Watch this 3D Video.
Benefits of Roundabouts
Roundabouts are a traffic management tool that have been shown to be safer than traffic signals while maintaining traffic flow.
Other benefits to installing roundabouts, include:
- Improving safety for all road users – pedestrians, cyclists and motorists
- Reducing speed, which results in reduced number and severity of crashes
- Reducing traffic noise and vehicle emissions – compared to traditional signalized intersections, vehicles at roundabouts do not stop and accelerate, or idle
- Enhancing appearance of intersection
Using a roundabout
In a roundabout, traffic flows in a counter-clockwise direction around a centre island, which helps to reduce traffic delays and collisions while continuing to keep traffic flowing. Drivers don't have to stop before entering a roundabout unless there is a vehicle or pedestrian in their way, so traffic flows slowly and continuously, in the same direction, and all exits are right turns.
To use a roundabout safely, remember:
- When your car approaches a roundabout, slow down and watch for pedestrians. If there are any pedestrians at the cross walk, wait for them to cross.
- Wait for a safe gap in traffic already in the circle before you enter the circle.
- Traffic inside the roundabout has the right-of-way and vehicles entering the roundabout must yield. That means that when you are in the roundabout, do NOT stop to let other vehicles enter.
- Follow the traffic signs and road markings, and signal before choosing your exit.
- As you exit, watch for pedestrians. If there are any pedestrians at the cross walk, wait for them to cross.
Roundabouts are always designed to ensure emergency vehicles can safely pass through.