The project will see upgrades extended along a 1km stretch of Highway 19A, from Big Rock Boat Ramp to Rockland Road – both improving services and the beautification of our city’s waterfront. The work includes significant improvements both above- and under- ground, including the reconstruction of sewer and water mains, installation of storm drains, a widened roadway, curb and gutter, sidewalk, seawalk, streetlights, enhanced park spaces, and installation of underground electrical utilities.
This project will be completed in 2021. For more information, review documents below.
This project is supported by the Government of Canada and Province of BC’s New Building Canada - Small Communities Fund, which awarded $6.43 million for the upgrades work. Read the news release about that announcement here...
- Sep 11, 2020: Highway 19A upgrades schedule revised to reduce the spread of COVID-19
- Jun 26,2020: Pop-Up info booth for Hwy19A project proves popular June 2020
- Jun 11, 2020: Keep current – at a safe distance: City hosts outdoor info booth for Highway 19A project
- Apr 9, 2020: Hwy 19a Construction to Restart – Safety Measures in Place to Protect From COVID-19
- Mar 2, 2020: Rockland Road Roundabout to Feature Tidal Pool - Open House March 16
- Feb 10, 2020: 2020 Waterfront Project construction kick-off open house - Feb 2020
- Oct 21, 2019: Have your say on new Rockland Road roundabout centre design, starting Nov. 5
- Sep 26, 2019: Highway 19A construction wraps for fall – work related to archeological find to take place over fall and winter
- May 10, 2019: Work on waterfront project phase 2 starts mid-May
- Feb 14, 2019: March open house outlines summer construction plan Feb-19
Getting Around During Construction
People travelling through work zone should expect single-lane alternating traffic for the remainder of the 2020 schedule. See the Alternate Routes Map for options to avoid the construction zone.
- Rockland Road between Galerno and Highway 19A is closed and will reopen in December 2020. Pedestrian access is available.
To sign up for email updates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow along with current project updates and milestones. more...